Smudge Blessing Ritual Kit
Every culture has unique ways of using herbs and sacred smoke to bless and purify homes, belongings, land and even ourselves. I curated this blessing box with care, choosing each item myself.
Each item carries its own unique healing properties and symbolism…
- Sage, cedar and fir are excellent for cleansing and healing. Herbs and trees represent the Earth element.
- Beeswax symbolizes sweetness, joy and productivity; candles represent the Fire element.
- Feathers refine, lighten and uplift energy. They remind us of the Air element. Turkey reflects the gifts of generosity and abundance.
- Pottery represents the Earth and Fire elements; it reminds us that we have the power to shape and transform our lives.
Why a Pottery Smudge Bowl?
You might wonder… why do I recommend using a ceramic smudge bowl instead of a shell? Well, there are several reasons for this.
- Although they are very popular, abalone shells were not traditionally used for smudging by every culture or tribal group. In some regions, pottery is preferred. Other containers have included animal skulls, stone and cast iron.
- A smudge bundle can get very hot. Heat can damage and burn a shell causing it to blacken or even break. Abalone is precious and some types are endangered – so in my ceremonies I prefer to use these beautiful shells in other ways.
- Shells can transfer heat; a fire-proof bowl with sand at the bottom is more secure.
- Some shells have holes that can allow ashes to fall – this just isn’t practical when you’re smudging your home. A bowl will safely catch any hot cinders and avoid damaging your altar, furnishings or floors.
- And, for all the above reasons, I would NEVER recommend using a shell to burn a charcoal disc.
When you receive your ritual kit, give yourself some quiet time as you unbox it. Go slowly. Take in the fragrance and texture of each item. Breathe in the sweetness of the beeswax, the depth of the sage. Sit for a while with your bowl and feather. Hold them and welcome them as Sacred Tools. The more you connect with your smudge tools, the more they will become an extension of your energy and intent.
As always, if you have questions…get in touch!
Learn more about the Art of Space Clearing